Salty tang





Here in the Tweed Valley, apart from the river and the sky, there is little sense of horizon, of the edge of the world, of infinite. And, there is no tang of salt in the air. At all. 

I`d like to spend some days, perhaps even just 2 days, sauntering around a fishing village over in the west. Far enough away from the big conurbations to feel protected and a little isolated from the 21st century. Some small number of fishing boats hugging the quay. Some small activities going on there. Ideally the sun will be shining and the sea will be lapping, transparent and aquamarine against the jetty wall. Looking idly down into the water I will behold its gin clear transparency; see fish swimming, seaweed waving amongst the barnacled wooden supports. Sitting back I`ll  enjoy the buffeting of a sharp breeze on my face, its force and harshness softened by the gulf stream.
And I`ll click away with my camera: getting the towering green mountains and their topping of cloud into the same frame as the fisher-folk and the sea green waves. And if they just don`t fit all together because the scene is too massive and spread about, I can manipulate the elements later in my design; in the picture I`ll be drawing, and which will become a lino print.
What else ...  I shall investigate rock pools, spend timeless moments staring into haphazard little universes. Turning stones, poking anemones to see them flex, hunting for crabs, finding shoals of baby dog fish. Who knows ... 
And this shall turn into another drawing, which shall become a print.
Partly a hankering after light, and the summer, which is gone. Taking myself  to where it was last seen; over in the west .
Partly nostalgia for family holidays long, long ago. Ardnamurchan, Raasay. And a remembrance of solo cycling holidays further west: Mull, Skye, Harris, Eriskay, Lewis, The Uists ...

I just need to find the right place in which to land myself for those few days. I shall then fill a sketch book with pencil drawing observations and wee notes in the margins, and fill a sandisk with photographs, and set myself up for a fresh project, over the darkening winter months.

Comments

Popular Posts